Sunday, August 2, 2015

Shady Creek Winery, Michigan City Indiana

“I feast on wine and bread, and feasts they are.”
Michelangelo (1475–1564)

This past weekend Steve and I attended the Taste of Michigan City. It was a nice normal community affair. It did a great job of introducing locals and summer tourists to some of the wonderful things this lakeside community has to offer. One such gem is Shady Creek Winery. I have to admit that I have heard of the winery, but, have never visited as I have found local wineries that offer wine tastings to be a bit of a disappointment. Although they might be nice when you stumble upon them, seeking them out is not my cup of tea, or glass of wine if you will. Also, I have found that Midwestern wines leave me feeling that a great grape was probably wasted in the making of said wine. 
Well, all that changed yesterday. Steve wanted to sample a local brew and asked if I would like a red should they have wine. Sure, why not, who am I to pass up on a gentlemen offering me a glass of red? He came back with a local red wine. I found that I really enjoyed it, despite it being served in a plastic Dixie cup. I inquired and discovered that it was from Shady Creek Winery in Michigan City. The volunteer for the Taste clearly loved spending time at Shady Creek and suggested that we pay it a visit. So, we did...right away. We left the Taste and traveled 4 short miles down Highway 12 to Indiana 212 to Tryon Road. A lovely establishment in the middle of the country. 
Steve and I found it to be a very friendly, welcoming  place. Not only is the venue comfortable and cheery, the staff truly loved what they do. Tyler took over our tasting and entertained us with stories of the Winery. He shared information such as where the grapes come from and how the winery came to be. Most notably, I discovered the reason why I favored Shady Creek wines over other local wines and that is because a predominance of the grapes for the red wine come from California. So, bring together great winemakers and great grapes and you get a great wine. 
Our favorite of the 6 wines tasted was the Syrah, with grapes from Lodi.So, we lift our glass to Tyler, and the crew for a wonderful Saturday afternoon. We are looking forward to our bottle of Syrah and are certain that Shady Creek will become one of our favorite places to just sit back and relax. We will be back! Cheers! 
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance." --- Benjamin Franklin

2030 Tryon Road
Michigan City, IN 46360
219-874-9463

No comments:

Post a Comment